Over the years a lot of people have been asking questions related to UNILAG, questions cutting across areas like; History of UNILAG, Departmental Cut off marks for Medicine & Surgery, Pharmacy, Law and other professional courses alongside UNILAG catchment states, how UNILAG calculates her aggregate Screening Cut off Mark,etc. This publication gives answers to all the above and many more, all that is required is just for you to READ! READ! READ! and READ through
BRIEF HISTORY OF UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS (UNILAG)
The University of Lagos popularly known as UNILAG is one of the five First generation Universities established in Nigeria two years after Nigeria’s Independence In 1962. The University is a Federal University located in Lagos, Southwest Nigeria.
The establishment of the University of Lagos in 1962 was informed by the need to intensify the training of a professional workforce for a newly independent Nigeria in search of rapid industrialisation and economic development. It was however quite evident that the country lacked the requisite workforce to actualise the people’s dream. There was a big gulf to be filled, and that required establishing many more universities.
At its inception, the University of Lagos was empowered to produce a professional workforce that would steer the political, social and economic development of a newly independent country. Over the last fifty years the University has pursued this mission with vigour, excellence and panache. The University has built a legacy of academic excellence and is now acclaimed publicly as “the University of First Choice and the Nation’s Pride.”
The University of Lagos has for over 5 decades provided qualitative and research-Oriented education to Nigerians and to all those who have entered its domain in search of knowledge . The University has built a legacy of excellence and has been instrumental in the production of graduates and top range academia who have had tremendous impact directly or indirectly on the growth and development in Nigeria.
The university has three campuses in Lagos, including the main campus in Akoka, the School of Radiography at Yaba, and the College of Medicine at Idi Araba. The University of Lagos has one of the largest student populations in Nigeria, has been accredited by the National Universities Commission (NUC) and ranks as the best University in Nigeria occupying the First position.
The University of Lagos currently has 12 existing Faculties they are;
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
- Faculty of Management Sciences
- Faculty of Clinical Sciences
- Faculty of Dental Sciences
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Environmental Sciences
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Social Science
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Science
UNILAG has quite a handful of notable and prominent alumni some of whom are;
- Pastor Daniel Olukoya; Scientist and Clergyman.
- Pastor Enoch Adeboye; Professor snd Clergyman
- Tony Elumelu; Economist, Entrepreneur and Philantropist
- Ousainou Darboe; Current Gambian Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Prof. Yemi Osibanjo; Current Vice President, Federal Republic of Nigeria
- Oba Rilwan Akiolu; Current Oba of Lagos State
- Lai Mohammed; Lawyer and Currently Nigeria’s Minister of Information and Culture
- Femi Gbajabiamila; Lawyer, Lawmaker and current Speaker
- Ogbonnaya Onu; Politician, author, engineer, first civilian governor of Abia state and the immediate past Minister of Science and Technology, Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- Wale Adenuga; Publisher and Film producer
- Wole Olanipekun; Lawyer and Senior Advocate of Nigeria
- Ibrahim Dankwambo; Former Governor of Gombe State
- Omoyele Sowore; Founder, Sahara Reporters
- Gbenga Daniels; Former Governor of Ogun State
- Gabriel Suswam; Former Governor of Benue State
- Seyi Makinde; Electrical Engineer, Businessman and Current Governor of Oyo State
- Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Businessman and Current Governor of Lagos State
- Funke Akindele Bello; Award winning Actress and Producer
- Genevieve Nnaji; Award winning Actress, Director and Producer
UNILAG have had several Vice Chancellors since her inception but her current Vice Chancellor is Professor Oluwatoyin Ogundipe.
UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS, (UNILAG) CUT OFF MARK 2020/2021
The management of the University of Lagos (UNILAG) have released the Cut off Mark for 2020/2021 academic session to be 200. Therefore, 2020 UTME candidates with a score of 200 and above are eligible for Post UTME
UNILAG GENERAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Admission into Full-Time undergraduate programmes is done only through Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and Direct Entry (DE). Candidates must be 16 years of age and above, possess five (5) credits in O’Level or its equivalent as required by the Department of interest which must include Mathematics and English Language in not more than one sitting, Candidates must have a minimum score of 200 in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and must have chosen UNILAG as their most preferred institution.
UNILAG CATCHMENT STATES
These are States to whom special concession or preferences are given in form of reduced post UTME scores and benchmarks, these states include ;
- Lagos State
- Ekiti State
- Ondo State
- Ogun State
- Oyo State
- Osun State
UNILAG DEPARTMENTAL CUT OFF MARK 2020/2021
You’ll find the various Cut off marks for all the departments present in UNILAG alongside that of the catchment started below, do not forget the update is an excerpt from the 2019/2020 academic session as the management of the institution is yet to release recent updates, the information should serve as a guide.
HOW TO CALCULATE UNILAG SCREENING AGGREGATE CUT OFF MARK
- O Level — 20%
- UTME — 50%
- Post UTME — 30%
For O Level it’s Calculated as;
- A1 = 4 points
- B2 = 3.6 points
- B3 = 3.2 points
- C4 = 2.8 points
- C5 = 2.4 points
- C6 = 2.0 points
Your 5 core subjects only should be calculated.
For UTME / JAMB Score :
- Divide your UTME/JAMB score by 8
- Divide your Post UTME score by 2
- Add the result of both scores above
Candidates are advised not to score below 50% in their post UTME to stand a better chance of admission.
UNILAG DIRECT ENTRY REGISTRATION PROCEDURE:
SCREENING FEE – N2,000
Eligible candidates should log on to the University website www.unilag.edu.ng then take the following steps:
- Click on Admission
- Click on DIRECT ENTRY Application
- Login with JAMB registration number and surname in lowercase as password
- Generate payment invoice
- Proceed to any commercial bank to make payment or pay online using debit cards
- Return to Unilag portal to complete the details on the screening form
- Print DIRECT ENTRY e-registration slip
Candidates are advised to adhere strictly to the guidelines and obtain necessary clarifications
Please if you find this article helpful do well to introduce others to the page , you can also share on your social handles, questions and comments to make us serve you better can also be sent in