This publication brings to the knowledge of the public the brief history of Federal University of Technology Owerri (FUTO), FUTO Admission Eligibility Criteria, FUTO cut off Mark for the 2020/2021 academic session, FUTO 2020/2021 departmental cut off marks, etc. Candidates in search of answers to the above are certain to get valid answers to their questions, they are therefore advised to read through all the pages of the publication as it promises to be explicit enough
BRIEF HISTORY OF FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY OWERRI, (FUTO)
Federal University of Technology Owerri (FUTO), was established in 1980 by Executive fiat with the composition and appointment of the first provisional Council by Nigeria’s First Executive President, Alhaji Shehu Shagari. It is the oldest Federal University of Technology and the first of three such Universities set up by the Federal Government of Nigeria who sought to establish a University of Technology in each geo-political region and particularly in a State which did not have a conventional University.
The Federal University of Technology Owerri(FUTO) is a Federal Government University located in Owerri West, the capital of Imo State. The University is surrounded by the communities of Eziobodo, Umuchima, Ihiagwa and Obinze, in Imo State Nigeria. It is the only federal university of technology in the south-east of Nigeria, and one of the oldest in West Africa
The University began with 225 students and 60 staff comprising of 28 academic and 32 non-academic staff but currently has about 22,000 students.
FUTO has a visionto re-engineer and re-position the Federal University of Technology to be a truly world class university through recreating, nurturing and developing uniquely promising students and exceptional staff in Science, Technology and enterprise to the benefit of the globalized world with a missionto operate practical and training geared towards transforming the nation’s economy from consumer-oriented to production-oriented, with a sound technological base.
Science and Technological development aimed at training and equipping high level skilled and technology manpower for contributing significantly to the development of the society and promoting national economy and progress is the main thrust of the institution.
According to the last accreditation and University ranking by the National Universities Commission (NUC), FUTO ranks 18 in the country. She has had the following professors as her Vice Chancellors from inception of the university to date;
- Prof. U.D. Gomwalk (1980–1986)
- Prof. Amah Nduka (1986–1991)
- Prof.C. O.G. Oba (1992–1999)
- Prof. Jude Njoku (2000–2005)
- Late Prof. C.E.O Onwuliri (2006–2011)
- Prof. Chigozie C. Asiabaka (2011–2016)
- Prof. Francis Chukwuemeka Eze (2016–present)
FACULTIES PRESENT IN FUTO
FUTO currently has eight colleges they are;
- School of Agriculture and Agricultural Technology (SAAT)
- School of Engineering and Engineering Technology (SEET)
- School of Physical Sciences (SOPS)
- School of Biological Sciences (SOBS)
- School of Management and Management Technology (SMAT)
- School of Health (SOHT)
- School of Environmental Sciences (SOES)
- School of Basic Medical Sciences (SBMS)
- School of Information and Communication Technology (SICT)
FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY OWERRI, (FUTO) CUT OFF MARK 2020/2021
The cut off Mark for FUTO 2020/2021 academic session is out. The 2020/2021 Jamb approved cut off Mark also agreed upon by FUTO is 180. Students who chose FUTO as their first or second choice institution and scored 180 and above in their 2020 UTME are only the ones permitted to purchase the PUTME form for admission screening. Candidates must also make sure they go through the eligibility criteria stated below to be sure they qualify for admission
FUTO ADMISSION ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA & GENERAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
The eligibility requirements here are necessary but not sufficient as the institution has the right to add or subtract from these, the requirements are ;
- The candidate must score a minimum of 180 in JAMB and above
- The candidate must have 5 O’ level credit passes in their WAEC, NECO, GCE or NABTEB which must include Mathematics and English language alongside three other subjects relevant to their proposed course of study .
- Combination of results in not more than two ( 2 ) sittings is allowed
- Candidates must be 16 years of age and above
- Candidates can apply with awaiting results. Awaiting results however won’t be accepted once admission is given .
- FUTO must either be your first or second choice University, candidates whose first choice is FUTO stands a better chance of being admitted first.
- FUTO DEPARTMENTAL CUT OFF MARK 2020/2021
Like will earlier cleared the air on the unavailability of information on the cut off Mark for FUTO’s 2020/2021 academic session and the promise to update the page as soon as the management of FUTO makes the information available, the cut off marks here are that of 2019/2020 , hopefully it’ll serve as a guide to what should be expected.
FUTO has always been competitive with large number of students applying for admission yearly. Due to this high number of students wishing to study in the Federal University of Technology Owerri, the admission processes has been structured to follow a pattern that considers JAMB score and O level grades.
However, in line with the JAMB approved cut off of 180, most departments In FUTO followed suit
Below are the courses offered in FUTO as well as their cut off marks
|COURSES||CUT OFF MARKS|
|Animal Science Technology||180|
|Crop Science Technology||180|
|Electrical Electronics Engineering||220|
|Fishery & Aquatic Technology 180||180|
|Financial Management Technology||180|
|Food Science & Technology||180|
|Forestry & Wildlife Technology||180|
|Ind. Chemistry 180||180|
|Information Mgt. Technology||210|
|Landscape Architectural Tech.||180|
|Maritime Mgt. Technology||180|
|Material & Metallurgy Engineering||180|
|Polymer & Textile Engineering||180|
|Project Mgt. Technology||180|
|Prosthesis & Orth. Technology||180|
|Public Health Technology||180|
|Quantity Surveying Tech.||180|
|Soil Science Technology||180|
|Surveying & Geoinformatics||180|
|Transport Mgt. Technology||180|
|Urban & Regional Planning||180|
Please should you find this article helpful do well to introduce others to the page , share the link on all available social network platforms (Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter, etc) to help inform others . Comments and questions are also permitted for clarity purpose