For candidates applying for admission into Abubakar Tafawa Belewa university, nigeriaschoolnews.com.ng the one and only all in one university school news site, brings you all you’ll need to know to guide you through your PTUME process ranging from the history of the institution down to the requirements for the physical screening exercise.
BRIEF HISTORY OF ATBU
Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University (ATBU) is a university named after the first Prime Minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Sir Abubakar Tafawa Belewa. It was established in 1980 as the Federal University of Technology, Bauchi.
At inception, the University inherited the site of the former Bauchi State College of Arts and Science (BACAS) at Yelwa as temporary site. In October 1981, academic activities started fully at the Yelwa campus and the institution admitted it’s first set of 100 students under the pre-degree and remedial programs. In October 1982, the admission of students for degree courses into the School of Science and Science Education began. On 1 October 1984, the university changed its name to Abubakar Tafawa Belewa College, Ahmadu Bello University, Bauchi campus due to a merger arrangement between her and Ahmadu Bello University Zaria. In 1988, the university broke away from the initial merger arrangement between her and Ahmadu Bello University Zaria and became independent. This led to the renaming of the institution to Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi, the name she still bears till date.
The University academic units were divided into Schools and Programmes at inception until 2014 when the National Universities Commission (NUC) approved the change of name from School to Faculty and from Programme to Department. The university offers academic programs at undergraduate, postgraduate and doctorate level. Aside the college of medicine, the institution has six faculties which offers a wide range of degree programs as follows;
FACULTIES AND DEGREE PROGRAMS OFFERED IN ATBU
Faculty of Agriculture & Agricultural Technology
- Department of Animal Production
- Department of Crop Production
- Department of Soil Science
- Department of Agricultural Economics and Extension
Faculty of Engineering & Engineering Technology
- Department of Agriculture and Bio-Resource Engineering
- Department of Automobile Engineering
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Computer and Communication Engineering
- Department of Electrical/Electronic Engineering
- Department of Mechanical/Production Engineering
- Department of Petroleum Engineering
- Department of Mechatronics and Systems Engineering
Faculty of Environmental Technology
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Building
- Department of Environmental Management Technology
- Department of Estate Management and Valuation
- Department of Industrial Design
- Department of Survey & Geo-Informatics
- Department of Quantity Survey
- Department of Urban & Regional Planning
Faculty of Management Technology
- Department Banking & Finance Technology
- Department of Management & Information Technology
- General Studies
- Department of Accounting
- Department of Technopreneurship
- Department of Business Management
Faculty of Technology Education
- Department of Education Foundation
- Department of Science Education
- Department of Vocational & Technology Education
- Department of Library and information science
Faculty of Science
- Department of Mathematical Sciences
- Department of Biological Sciences
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Geology
- Department of Physics
- Department of Biochemistry
- Department of Ecology
- Department of Microbiology
The university currently ranks 27 in the country and has been successfully managed by a number Executives and pioneer Vice Chancellors namely;
PIONEER VICE CHANCELLORS OF ATBU
- Professor Adewale Oke Adekola (1980–1984)
- Professor Buba Garegy Bajoga (1984–1988) (Provost)
- Professor Buba Garegy Bajoga (1988–1995)
- Professor Abubakar Sani Sambo (1995–2004)
- Professor Garba Aliyu Babaji (2004–2009)
- Professor Muhammad Hamisu Muhammad (2009–2014)
- Professor Abdulrahman Saminu Ibrahim (2014–2019)
- Professor Muhammad Ahmad AbdulAzeez (2019–Date)
ATBU GENERAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
In addition to the Possession of the University and departmental minimum requirements, candidates must;
- Have a minimum Jamb score of 180 .
- Have five O’ level credits in ( WAEC, NECO, GCE or NABTEB) inclusive of Mathematics and English Language in not more than two sittings.
- Have the right UTME subjects combination.
- Choose ATBU as their first choice University.
ATBU CUT OFF MARK 2020/2021
The jamb approved cut off mark for ATBU from the previous academic session is 180, there’s no current information on the cut off mark for 2020/2021 academic session. Once information is available on this we’ll update the publication. Due to the competitive nature of the admission process, candidates are advised to score far above the slated cut off mark to stand a better chance of being admitted
ATBU DEPARTMENTAL CUT OFF MARK
Candidates with a UTME score of 180 and above are qualified to sit for the PUTME screening exercise. It is important for candidates to also know that ATBU do not have a uniform cut off mark therefore some departments have higher cut off mark than others. Scroll down to view the various departmental cut off marks.
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING (220 & above)
- Mechanical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Automobile Engineering
FACULTY OF SCIENCES
(190 & above)
- Industrial Chemistry
- Computer Science
- Industrial physics
FACULTY OF LAW
( 240 & above )
FACULTY OF MEDICAL SCIENCES ( 250 & above )
- Medicine & Surgery
- Every other department falls under the category of 180 & above
ATBU REQUIREMENTS FOR PHYSICAL SCREENING
Candidates who applied and did online screening for admission into Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Bauchi, are to check their names at www.atbu.edu.ng/screening and if successful appear for the physical screening exercise
Candidates are expected to come along with the following;
- Original copies of their credentials
- Online screening slips and physical screening invitation letter.
- Birth certificate or age declaration.
- Downloaded O’ level results from the internet at not more than two sittings. Scratch card pin of (WAEC, NECO, NABTEB and Grade II) or original certificates.
- LGA Identification letter as well as NCE/ND/IJMB results for DE candidates and report to their Dean of Faculties.
NOTE: Any candidate who fails to appear for the physical screening on the date stipulated for it will be replaced immediately, change of course will not be possible after screening.
Please if you find this article helpful do well to introduce others to the page , share the link on all available social network platforms ( Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter, etc ) to help inform others . Comments and questions are also permitted for clarity purpose